Thursday, April 05, 2007

Some things are harder to title.


The subjects of images often don't present themselves right away. For me, I try to doodle with as little concious control as possible. I just doodle. Then, as I work on the final version of a piece, I find that it get's me thinking in certain ways about the image and what I am experiencing. This pic is called "It hit me like an act of God." I borrowed it from a song lyric in an Andrew Bird song. It got me thinking about the power of seemingly ordinary things can be. Stuff we consider benign or mundane. I didn't say trivial, just common. Things like love, a home, a child... Stuff we all know but maybe hadn't thought about much. Then I start to connect the "feelings" of a picture with my own experience at that time. I want viewers to be able to see their own things in the images but sometimes, I think, "man, that's too obvious." Obvious or not, it is what it is. Sorry the scan is not better.

7 comments:

the chung said...

i like this new piece a lot! really dimensional and textural, definitely love how his skin looks.
cool shit, keep it up!

MRC said...

awesome, chris. is that for a show?

Mostyn said...

thanks guys. Chung. I got the pattern from a catfish in my big fish book. cool. Mike, yeah, I am putting this in the show in LA.

Alex Noriega said...

really impressive work. I really like it.

MRC said...

where's the chris mostyn children's book? you should get on that. today.

Mostyn said...

Thanks Mike. I had thought about that at one time. a lot of work. might do it some day.

Bob Flynn said...

Hey Chris! Just found your work...we definitely have the same influences. I'm digging your line art especially. Art on, bud!