Monday, October 02, 2006

Unconsciously speaking...



When I was in Grad School, I got introduced to the comic diaries of James Kochalka. I really loved the idea of working so personally and directly. I was mad though cuz I didn't want to copy him. It wasn't until I looked at my own sketchbooks that I realized that I was writing about my life but not always so directly. The images were subconscious leakings of all the stuff I see in my head and the writing included the things I was thinking about or experiences I was having mixed with random words. I liked the idea of working and letting my brain work without my manipulations. I will talk later about some of the subject matter but for now, just take a look and figure it out for yourself. ha.

1 comment:

SEAN said...

i think the whole personal comic format is pretty lame. these guys never have interesting lives & it makes the drawings dull because there is generally no imagination or ideas behind them. anyhow, it's one thing if the artist has something to say or lives an amazing life, but who has time to be an artist & live an amazing life at the same time? i think you should stick to obtusely interpreting your day to day events in the comics, because that's the way to go.